FREYMING AND MERLEBACH
Freyming and Merlebach experienced an identical fate. Both were founded at the same time, around 1590 for Merlebach, in 1602 for Freyming. Nowhere else did mining activities disrupt town planning so much. Not only did large cities settle on their banks, but the two modest villages completely changed their face. The town was born from the merger in 1971 of the two mining towns. Numerous Gallo-Roman remains have been found on the current edge of Freyming and away from Sainte-Fontaine, on the site of a temple dedicated to water deities. The village of Freyming was created in 1602 by the counts of Créhange and ceded to France in 1781 by the Le Leyen, following an exchange treaty. Merlebach has its origins in a village of glassmakers, mentioned in 1590 and located on the banks of the Merle. But it was mining that made the town’s fortune. The city offers some very good examples of different generations of working-class towns... Anyone who likes imitations of baroque art must stop at the St-Maurice church in Freyming... The church of the Nativity of the Virgin in Merlebach is also neo-baroque (1926). Cité de la Chapelle, the Chapelle de la Sainte-Trinité, erected in 1755 on the old Roman road, was a popular place of pilgrimage until the beginning of the 1925th century. Also worth seeing in Merlebach, rue du Rocher, is a megalithic stone, the Wieselstein, below the monument to those killed in the Reumaux well disaster (3), the breakage of a cable caused the death of fifty-one miners, XNUMX months after the start of operation of this seat.