STAINED GLASS WINDOWS OF OUR LADY OF THE NATIVITY CHURCH

  • OTCCFM

Welcome in German

The stained glass windows of the Church of the Nativity are the work of the Naborian stained glass artist Arthur SCHOULER. This is his first work, carried out in three stages, well after the construction of the church (it was built from 1924 to 1926). The first part, the 5 stained glass windows of the choir, was made in 1953, then followed in 1957, those of the front choir and the transept and finally those of the nave in 1960. There are 23 windows in all. The stained glass windows were made of antique colored glass, painted, baked and sealed. The artist Arthur SCHOULER was born in 1927 in Fouligny. In 1946 he enrolled at the National School of Fine Arts in Paris and became a student of Nicolas UNTERSTELLER. Having completed his studies, he returned to St-Avold and more particularly to the workshop of the Naborian artist Helmuth MULLER, where he learned about sculpture, then worked as a model maker at the BOHL- art stained glass workshop. SCHNELLER in Haguenau, in this field that he loves so much. To admire these stained glass windows, make an appointment at the Merlebach presbytery on 03 87 04 44 67 (or church open before and after mass).


Visit conditions

Visit of exteriors only Self-guided tours on request Guided tours on request

Leisure

concerts Temporary exhibitions

Prices

Payment method

Credit card
French bank and postal checks
Cash

Dates and times

from 01/01/2024 to 31/05/2025